Friday, February 6, 2009

Just say NO to multi-tasking...YES to patience!

I began teaching our Friday Vinyasa class because I wanted you to embrace patience, to enjoy the challenge, and to learn to laugh at yourself.

Patience isn't something anyone can teach you it has to come from within. I have to say that before I started studying and practicing yoga I didn't "get it"! David would throw a thimble at my sometimes and say "use this to hold your patience"! But I soon learned patience from MY MAT........YES I learned patience from my yoga mat.

I learned from tortoise and many other asanas. I learned to cultivate patience to move forward steadily, no matter how slow my progress was. It's great to be motivated to do hot yoga by all the wonderful physcial things hot yoga can do for you, but if that is your only thought you will eventually be disappointed, there's so much more. For long term tranformation you have to be patient.

Sometimes our main culprit is thinking that we should be able to accomplish something without making a consistent effort. That hurts us by diverting our attention to what the work IS and what we believe we are entitled to. It also makes it impossible to learn and appreciate what is taking place this very minute!

So resolve to live in the moment, this very minute of this very day, live in the moments of your practice, enjoy it NO matter where it is and let go of expecations!

1 comment:

  1. Misty, thanks for an AMAZING first week! After only 1 week I can tell a huge difference in my flexability and focus. As you know I always wear my bodybugg in class. This measures how many calories I burn during and immediately following class. I was thrilled to burn over 400 calories the first day. Each class I've attended I've gotten stronger and burned more calories. Today I burned approx. 700 calories! WOW! I can't wait to see the results at the end of the month. My goal is to drop 2 sizes. Thanks for making stretching so much fun!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete