Friday, February 4, 2011

Traffic, Arthritis and yoga

What's up with that title? What do traffic, rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and yoga have to do with one another? Well let me try to link them together in my simple little mind.

Practicing YOGA....what does that mean to you? Is it coming to your mat and working thru a series of asanas that aren't a lot of fun but you do it because you feel amazing afterwards? or does it mean something very foreign to you and scary? Guess what...the asana practice of YOGA that you do on your mat doesn't really mean a bunch....nope it doesn't matter what you physically do or not do on that mat (isn't that a relief for some of you) What IS important is what you learn as you move thru your asana, what are you listening to, what do you take hold of and let go of.........this is where the traffic comes in.........

Traffic is very real to you isn't it? I love sitting on I-65 waiting to get somewhere, maybe a yoga class and the cars aren't moving. What can I do? Get frustrated, honk my horn, try to weave around and get more angry! What if I just took a deep breath and realized that everything is perfect, it's happening exactly how's it suppose to be so maybe I can just enjoy the scenery, pray, be still, be grateful because there's nothing I can do about it. IT took me a long time to get to that place and let's be honest it's not always there, but since I've been "practicing yoga" I try to take a step back and see what I can learn from any mountain or CAR in my path.....this is where the RA comes in.......

So I've had RA for about 13 years. My fingers and my toes are mostly affected but I have to tell you that the simple PHYSICAL asana of yoga changed my life with my RA. I have been able to keep the function for the most part (I'm not gonna lie the HEAT is the biggie). I've been pretty comfortable in my practice, I've tried to concentrate on the flexibility of my fingers and toes knowing that one day I may have joint deformities that could inhibit my movement. Sometimes the joints in my toes flare so to stand and try to balance is very painful, and other days there isn't any. Over the last two months my joints have started to change, they have continued to swell and asanas that were very "simple" for me before have become very painful, even a downdog or simply standing in tadasana. NOW I could roll up my mat and say well if I can't do those basic simple things then what kind of "yoga" practice can I have or much less teach my students. BUT I can choose to listen to my body, be grateful I can still get up every morning, I can share my story, keep moving and find NEW ways to get the blood flowing to heal my mind and body..........Get it...THIS is where it all comes together!

If I choose to bring my frustrations about my RA onto my mat and push thru pain what am I building and making stronger? PAIN and FRUSTRATION

If I choose to bring that traffic tie up that made me late into my asana practice then what am I making stronger? ANGER

If I choose to make my yoga practice all about the physical asana and get discouraged because balance or standing in tadasana is a challege what am I making stronger? DISCOURAGEMENT

BUT what If I choose to breathe, to listen to my mind/body, and to follow it's direction, to remain calm when things get challenging, to be grateful and happy for what I have, what am I making stronger? GRATEFULNESS, HAPPINESS, PEACEFULNESS, STRENGTH

WOW I am thinking THOSE are the things we want to make our world and lives better and stronger and happier!


That's where it all comes together.....whatever you choose to build on the mat that's what is going to get stronger.

You can feel the physical when you do 108 chaturangas (ha ha) the mental is harder to "see" but where the true magic happens!




It's all a practice....life...yoga...patience...stillness....happiness....gratitude..... come to your mat!

2 comments:

  1. i agree, we are truly in the moment we are suppose to be in everyday. we are challenged every minute, hour, and day with what we call LIFE, whether that is through family, friendship or the dreaded work (or maybe not) we learn and grow from every experience. obstacles in LIfe challenge us day in a day out. when we meet those obstacles we stop and breathe, for it is the breath that i have learned from taking yoga that will guide you to a better place or make the good places better. when I first started to practice yoga a teacher said "just breathe" and when i practiced i thought how? i have learned to understand more every day that the only thing I have that is mine is my breath. i own it, i control it and it is what makes me, ME! thank you for sharing the blog and for having a home for those who need to breathe to become a family. it is the peace i find in my heart through my breath that guides me in life every day! so just : ), oh & BREATHE it sure makes LIfe Good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet words.......your smile makes our house hOME

    ReplyDelete